|History of The Thompson Companies
The Thompson Companies are comprised of Thompson Dayton Steel Service, Arrow Thompson Metals Inc., and Optimal Steel Service, LLC.
Founded as Thompson Wire Company by George Thompson in Boston, Massachusetts, during 1922, the first plant was dedicated to the production of cold rolled steel wire. Later in 1923, Thompson Wire Company expanded both in scope and size with the acquisition of a wire drawing plant in Worcester, Massachusetts.
With a track record for providing high-quality cold rolled steel products, and a growth oriented vision, the company further expanded during the 1940s and 1950s and added facilities in the major market areas at the time. They included mill facilities in Franklin Park (Chicago), Illinois, and Sparrows Point (Baltimore), Maryland, and warehousing facilities in Roseville, Michigan, Randolph, Massachusetts, and Beacon Falls, Connecticut during the 1960s and 1970s.
In May of 1974, a management group led by Mr. George Ryan and Mr. Robert Dearing acquired the company and it became known as Thompson Steel Company, Inc.
Responding to industry needs, the company opened a hardening and tempering facility in Paulding, Ohio, in 1980. The facility was expanded to double its size in 1988 making it the largest operation of its type in the United States.
In 1986, Thompson Steel Company, recognizing an opportunity to support the growing need for quality stainless steel products, acquired Arrow Metals Inc. of North Hollywood, California, a stainless steel distributor with specialized capabilities. This division was named Arrow Thompson Metals Inc. and continues under that name to this day.
Following the market trend, plants in the New England area were replaced by the acquisition of Dayton Steel Services, Inc., in Dayton, Ohio, and Rome, Georgia, and the opening of a new plant in Greenville, South Carolina.
At the same time, Thompson Steel Company, Dayton Steel Services, and Arrow Thompson Metals were placed under the corporate umbrella we now know as The Thompson Companies.
In 2002, The Thompson Companies further expanded through a joint venture with Optimal Steel Services, Inc., a minority owned business located in Southern California. Optimal Steel Services serves the need for a minority supplier to the metals industry throughout the United States.
2007 saw the consolidation of Thompson Steel Co. and Dayton Steel Services into Thompson Dayton Steel Service. This move allowed the company to better service customers throughout the Midwest.
Today The Thompson Companies operate six facilities located strategically throughout the United States to serve the needs of the flat rolled steel community. Corporate offices are located in Canton, Massachusetts.
The Thompson Companies are committed to providing the best service in our industry and are driven to satisfy the needs of their customers.
Our success has been made possible through the dedication and efforts of our employees. Through the years, our staff has been instrumental in our ability to maintain and grow our position in the industry. We draw on their strengths to ensure our customers' satisfaction, and we look forward to future growth with their assistance.